Thing 4: Reading the Edublogs

I am now a week behind. Spent too much time fussing over the last one. This entry has to be short, especially since I spent a long time reading the educational blogs. I liked them a lot.

What I find about these blogs so far is that they are personal, experience based and feel very authentic. The difference in how I read is that I do a lot more skimming to see if I want to read deeply. So my experience is polarized into the superficial or the all-consuming intense. It takes some getting used to. For example, I was intrigued by several of the titles listed and glanced at more than five for sure. However, I could only glance at most of the ones I chose, even those I responded to, because at this rate, I will never complete the course. It may be different when there are no deadlines, but I am not sure this is the case. So it comes back to the connectivity specialist. How do you get to the best and most relevant sources in the shortest amount of time?

Below is a list of blog posts I wanted to give more time to, and will hopefully revisit.

#1: Dan Meyer’s Why I don’t Assign Homework: I used to assign Studio Art homework but stopped because those who did it would have done it anyway, and those who needed it most didn’t it poorly or not at all. If it was hard for them in class, how much harder at home with no support. I see blogging as a way to develop more of an exchange of ideas and critical thinking. I will revisit the homework issue, but I think if it is not actually helping extend the problem solving experience, it is just busywork for all of us.

#4: Shelly Wright: Synthsis: I really responded to Wright’s connection to her students, and her own sense of inclusion in their success or failure. For me teaching is a consistent process of evaluating and re-evaluating how I deliver, receive, share and value information in the classroom.

# 9. Thanks, Christ Betcher in your Myth of the Digital Native or pointing this out. Given how much our students are surgically attached to their devices, we assume our students know more than they they do. Yet when I ask about image size, resolution and a whole bunch of other things, I get blank stares. Each student’s individual knowledge appears to us as the aggregate knowledge of the group, but in fact some people know a lot about a little, and others know a little about a lot, so we shouldn’t feel intimidated. Naturally there are those, too, who know a lot about a lot. We enlist their help.

#11: Frank Nochese: The $2 Interactive Whiteboard I agree that electronic technology should be used where it would enhance learning and not just for its own sake. The interactive whiteboard idea is awesome. My students love nothing more than writing on the whiteboard but it is a one-person-at-a-time activity. Seeing the students collectively editing their thoughts, together, physically, verbally and in writing is exciting for me. Thanks for the tip.

#21: Bit by Bit by Bob Sprankle. Brilliant.

Not a blog but Do Schools Kill Creativity by Sir Ken Robinson, similarly brilliant.

I am inspired. And great, the permalinks work. Whoohoo! Time for a sun break.

One thought on “Thing 4: Reading the Edublogs

1. I saw the Kenneth Robinson TED talk a while ago, loved it, and then forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!